Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Is Coming

It doesn't take much to get me in the Christmas spirit.  Throw up some tinsel, let me hear the first few beats of "Christmas Vacation" from the eponymous movie, wrap the Hershey Kisses in red and green foil, and we're golden.  I'm ready to ho-ho-ho and go caroling and all that good-natured stuff. 

This year - something's off.  Maybe it's the new location.  Maybe it's the fact that we're not in our real house for the first time.  Maybe it's because I won't be at my mom and dad's on Christmas Eve (which usually doesn't bother me).  Whatever it is, I'm a little perplexed.  For the first time, I've become one of "them".

"Them" are the people that approach Christmas with a shotgun.  They see it as a necessary evil, or just another date on the calendar.  Them can also be the people who go out of their way to inform you of all their activities and tasks they have done or have to do before December 25th. 

"I got the shopping all done, the presents wrapped, the tree up, decorated the entire house with halogen lights, got the kids' Christmas pictures taken, Christmas letter written and sent out, made 18 dozen holiday cookies and cupcakes for the church bake sale - but I still have six holiday parties, two concerts and a so much other stuff to do!"

(Note: this is nearly word-for-word what a lady in the restaurant next me recited to her friend at approximately 92 decibels.  I think people in Madagascar know what she's endured this holiday season.)

Usually, I go with the flow.  I don't wait until the 24th to buy my presents (not all of them, anyway).  I get stuff wrapped - usually I wrap other people's gifts, too - I am using that three weeks as a professional gift-wrapper at J.C. Penny's to my advantage.  I put up lights.  I put up a tree.  I make cookies.  I go look at lights.  I do the whole scha-bangy-bang.   This year was no different - and for once there was some stress.  Usually I don't give a rat's ass if something gets done or not.

This year - I can't figure it out.  Maybe it's because I don't really want anything for Christmas.  Clothes are nice.  Money always works.  But the really memorable Christmases had that defining moment or gift - this year doesn't really seem to have that yet.  I still have to obtain the wife's big gift - maybe that will get my Noel spark lit.  I know it's the season of giving - but even that isn't doing it for me.  I need Clarence.  I need the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.  Something - because in the words of the King, this is shaping up to be a blue, blue Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment