Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Weigh-In Day

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

I have no discipline.

Not exactly an earth-shaker, is it?  But it's true - I can give up on something that is hard faster than anyone I know.  I'll cut so many corners, my project will be a circle when I'm done with it.  But sometimes, I get dedicated to something and knock it out - but if I get distracted or overwhelmed, then I'm all about jumping off the Titanic.

Take this past weekend.  My wife was VERY ill - leaving me to be single dad to our two monsters angels, plus the primary caregiver to my nurse spouse.  Have you ever taken care of a nurse, or someone in the medical profession?  It ain't easy.  They know better than anyone what to do (in their opinion, but it's also fact), and they won't listen to anyone about "rest, fluids, sleep, etc.".  So - yeah, the thought of pushing her down some stairs crossed my mind once or twice over the past 96 hours.

My kids were another challenge.  There was nearly a "Harry Potter Moment" - where they were going to live their formative years in the closet under the stairs.  I considered putting them up on Craigslist.  I almost started a Twitter account, so I could remember such gems as "I'm going to stuff you in the microwave!" for posterity down the road. 

Through all this, I was supposed to be exercising and dieting.  Didn't happen.  I justified it with "sick wife and crazy kids", and just eschewed doing anything over the weekend.

Today was weigh-in day, and I stepped on the scale with trepidation.  Then I opened my eyes, and Charlotte (god bless her, in her tight sweaters and "are they real?" hooters) was holding her fist out for a bump.  I looked down.

244.1 - a total loss of 1.9 pounds.  1.9 pounds away from the elusive 20 pound barrier.

Let me quote one of my favorite scenes from "Saturday Night Live" - Will Farrell and Darrell Hammonds on "Celebrity Jeopardy" -

"Despite your best efforts, my friend, you were successful."

I'm not sure how it happened, but I'll take it.  I have a boys' weekend this weekend, where the beer will flow like wine, and the women flock like the salmon of Capestrano.  I'm not holding my breath on some magical weight loss formula this time, but maybe I'll get lucky twice.  I'm sure as hell not disciplined enough to work out while on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment